Further Details for the Annual Awards.
- It is essential to read the criteria listed in the award category – this will assist with completing the nomination.
- The GCA’s judging panel will take into account the achievements and attributes of the nominee or club in relation to the criteria for the selected category
- Serving members of the GCA Committee are not eligble for any awards.
- Each nomination should be no more than one A4 page in total. Achievements can be listed in point form and a separate form is required for each nominee.
- GCA will require permission from winners for their photos to be posted on the GCA website and published in the GCA’s quarterly magazine Our Gardens.
Please Note: These nominations close Sunday July 10, 2022.
Criteria for GCA Award Categories.
- For Categories 1 to 6, Nominee must be a financial member of an Affiliated Club or the nominated club is an Affiliate of GCA.
- For Category 7 Nominee must be nominated by an Affiliated Club.
- All Nominees must have demonstrated in some manner, friendship, goodwill and sharing of knowledge with fellow members and or the community and/or contribution to their club, community and/or GCA
- Please include any awards received by the nominee within their club and/or community, as well as positions and years of office held.Your Content Goes Here
CATEGORY 1 Outstanding Contribution by an Individual to Gardening and/or Horticulture
(The President of “The Garden Clubs of Australia Award.”)
The nominee should have demonstrated a long-term contribution to gardening and/or horticulture through writing, public speaking, teaching, broadcasting, exhibiting, judging or organising events. This could be at a local, state, national and/or international level.
CATEGORY 2 Outstanding Service by an Individual to the “Garden Clubs of Australia Inc.”
(The Margaret Davis Award.)
The nominee should have: a commitment to the GCA by assisting or organising Information, Zone or Friendship Days; shown support for National Conventions; and been an active Zone Coordinator and/or served on the GCA Committee; assisted with special GCA events, e.g. Awards, AGMs : promoted GCA to the wider community.
CATEGORY 3 Outstanding service by an affiliated club to the local Community.
(The Eleanor McLeod Award)
The nominated clubs should have demonstrated an involvement in projects both practical and educational to benefit the community with public projects such as garden expos, community garden competitions, town and/or city landscaping, parks, botanic gardens, community gardens or projects such as preservation of historic gardens or areas in the community, assisting schools to establish gardens as learning areas, or mentoring groups.
CATEGORY 5 Outstanding service by an individual or an affiliated club to the Environment.
(The Gwendy Hansford Award)
Nominee should have shown an active, inspiring and committed role in protecting the local environment i.e. residential or public area, demonstrated their ability to communicate and educate the public in the understanding of environmental issues; and been involved in activities such as Bushcare or bushland regeneration or similar i.e. residential or public area.
CATEGORY 5 Outstanding service by an individual to their local Community.
(The Doris Killian Award)
Nominee should have shown an involvement in projects both practical and educational to benefit the community with town and/or city landscaping, parks, botanic gardens, community gardens or projects such as preservation of historic gardens or areas in the community, assisting schools to establish gardens as learning areas, or mentoring groups.
CATEGORY 6 Achieving excellence by an individual in Floral Art.
(The Joan O’Brien Award)
Nominee should be an active member of a floral art group, instrumental in promoting floral art through judging, producing manuals, training judges, demonstrating and/or organising workshops, experienced in club, regional, state, national and/or international displays or demonstrations and capable of producing prize-winning arrangements.
CATEGORY 7 Outstanding contribution to Gardening/Horticulture by a young Gardener.
(GCA Young Gardener of the Year)
Nominee must be nominated by an affiliated club or a member of an affiliated club and be 30 years of age or younger in the year of nomination. The nominee should have one (1) or more of the following:
- Contributed at either a club, local, regional or state level by participating in activities such as exhibiting, judging, writing and speaking about gardening/horticulture.
- Assisted with promoting knowledge of gardening/horticulture through organising, participating and encouraging friendship in gardening especially with younger gardeners.
- Exhibited an interest in the protection and conservation of natural resources in their environment.
The Garden Clubs of Australia Inc reserves the right to:
- place nominations into a more appropriate category than originally submitted,
- not confer an Award for a particular category in the current year, and
- hold back all names of Award winners until after the GCA AGM.
The Judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into for any category.
Previous winners of ANY category are not eligible to re-nominate for a period of 5 years.